Avocados are definitely among the healthiest fruits that exist. They originate from Mexico, with the oldest avocado samples found in Puebla dating back to 10 000 BC. Avocados come from the same family as cinnamon and camphor and grow on a tree that can reach 6 feet in height. Like bananas, this delicious tropical fruit ripens a week or two after picking.
The avocado has an impressive nutritional profile, containing numerous vitamins from the B group as well as vitamin C, E and K, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, sodium, zinc and iron. The average avocado contains far more potassium than bananas as well as 23% of the recommended daily allowance of folate, which is great for your cardiovascular system and can lower the risk of stroke. Take a look at some of the main health benefits of avocado:
As we already mentioned, avocados are rich in folate, a powerful compound which can prevent the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida and lower the risk of heart problems and stroke;
- Consuming avocados every day will provide your body with a healthy amount of beta-carotene and lycopene;
- Avocados are rich in lutein, an antioxidant that can prevent eyesight problems such as cataract or macular degeneration;
- Avocados are also rich in beta-sitosterol, which can lower your LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood and prevent the accumulation of plaque in the arteries;
- According to studies, avocados are rich in oleic acid which can prevent prostate cancer and the growth of oral cancer cells;
- The high amount of fiber in avocados will improve your digestion and promote weight loss, while also regulating your blood sugar levels;
- When combined with a carrier oil, applying avocado extract topically can treat the symptoms of arthritis;
- Avocados contain flavonoids and polyphenols which have powerful anti-inflammatory properties;
- Applying avocado oil on your skin will nourish it and treat all kinds of skin disorders such as psoriasis;
- Eating avocados often will relieve bad breath and clean your intestines;
- Avocados are rich in glutathione which can slow down the aging process and protect your heart;
- Glutathione can also fight free radicals in the body and prevent damage to our DNA, effectively preventing cancer and other chronic diseases and conditions.
As you can see, avocados are highly beneficial for our health, so make sure to include them in your daily diet. You can eat them raw or add them to salads or smoothies in order to enjoy all the benefits they offer.